Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Who was that?

I watched a rental movie last night and they referred to a woman whose name sort of rang a bell... but I couldn't remember exactly who she was or what she did for sure. That kind of thing can keep bugging me so I decided to find out more about her and why they dropped her name in this movie.

I turned to Google. I know some of you think Google is a bad word in Libraries but that's not really true. Google is sometimes the best place to start if you really don't know enough to search somewhere else. It helped me get the spelling of her name right and gave me a quick connect to a few starter bits of information. That was great!

Reading the snippets about her reminded me of how interesting the lady was. I decided that I wanted to know more so my search turned another direction. For that (since I was here on campus by then) I turned to one of our Biographical sets in the Reference section, Women in world history: a biographical encyclopedia, and got some pretty good information about what she had done.

I understand, now that I have the basics filled in a little bit more, what the movie was talking about and why they dropped her name. Actually, it's great that in this time of information abundance, we can fill in the blanks fairly easily. As a matter of fact, I think maybe I will look for a book about her in the catalog and request it through interlibrary loan over break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home