Sunday, November 26, 2006

What should it be?

I have come to the conclusion that I am going about this 'professional blog' a little wrong so this is the heads up for a slight morph. Change is part of the learning process, after all.

Sure, it is supposed to be a workplace communication tool, but the bottom line is that it's pretty hard to avoid revealing the author's (my) opinions and writing style. Hopefully, this isn't a bad thing - just something to be aware of. Careful, this blog may test your critical thinking skills.

As the author of the blog I will readily admit that I am somewhere between old and young, conservative and liberal, fuddie and geekie, and several other dichotomies you could name. I love learning something new E.V.E.R.Y single day. I love libraries. I love working in a library. Libraries are a wonderful mix of social center, information hub, book repository and comfort zone.

Libraries shouldn't be expected to house every book and every magazine written. That would be ridiculous. . . and expensive . . .and huge! Library staff shouldn't be expected to know everything about everything. That would be unrealistic.

What can and should be expected is that your library, more specifically the staff, should know where to find and help you get the books, articles, weird bit of trivia, list of places or whatever you need, better than most other people. What you need may be in this library or in a library in Seattle, Washington. The article on behavior patterns of fruit flies may be in one of our periodicals. . . or it may be online . . . or it may be sitting in a library in south Florida where an interlibrary loan staff person there will Xerox it for you and mail it to you.

I will continue to point to things that I discover inside the library, announcements from the staff, and reasons that I love the library. Maybe I can show you how connected your library can be to your life - and how that, is an OK thing.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 AM , Blogger ActLikeOne said...

I think that this blog has been very informative, and you are doing a wonderful job. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home